Detroit White Beet seeds
You get the distinctive taste of beets without the annoying red stains. The flavorful roots are a dusky white and fantastic in salads.
- Till in aged manure before planting. Beets require especially good nutrition and a high phosphorus level to germinate. Go easy on nitrogen however, an excess will cause sprawling greens and tiny bulbs beneath the soil.
- Wait until soil reaches 50°F before planting.
- Plant seeds ½ inch deep and 1-2 inches apart.
- Make sure soil remains moist for germination.
- In zones with low moisture and rainfall, soak the seeds for 24 hours before planting.
- Early crop can be planted in March/April, and late crop anytime from June to September. Successive plantings are also possible as long as the weather doesn’t exceed 75°F. Space plantings about 20 days apart.
- Winter crops are a definite possibility in Zone 9 and above.
Zellajake Farm and Garden: "Seeds for all your planting needs" since 2013